Three adjoining fragments of a panel - one the 'Lichfield Angel' - have been found which are thought to be part of a shrine which contained the bones of St Chad.
The fragments are of painted limestone and in an excellent state of preservation.
They will be on display until the end of March and then removed for further research.
For further information and a photograph of the Lichfield Angel, click here, here or here.
He died 672 and Bede reports that he was buried 'close by' the church of St Mary but his body was later translated to the new church of St Peter.
For more information ,visit the official Abbey's site by clicking here.The pride of the collection is the country's earliest surviving Christian memorial, the Latinus Stone, carved some time around AD 450 to mark the grave of a man called Latinus and his unnamed four year old daughter.Monuments on the Move Piloti (Gavin Stamp) reported in Private Eye recently that the magnificent gilt-bronze effigy of Richard Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick (ob 1439) was moved from St Mary's Church, Warwick to the Gothic: Art for England exhibition in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London.This is one of only two such medieval effigies remaining outside of London. 1250) of Robert, Duke of Normandy (ob 1134), son of William the Conqueror, was removed from Gloucester Cathedral in 1987 to the Royal Academy; when it was returned, it was replaced not in front of the altar but side-lined into the south ambulatory.
For the cathedral site with photograph, click here.April 2006 Peter Yeoman FSA, Senior Archaeologist of Historic Scotland, writes to inform Fellows that the Whitehorn collection of early medieval sculptured stones has been given a makeover.