(From top left to bottom right) Old Capitol Building, East Olympia, Interstate 5 at the junction of U. Route 101, Port of Olympia, Downtown from Capitol Lake, Washington State Capitol, Salmon sculpture, Mount Rainier, Olympic Mountains and Swantown Marina, Percival Landing Park. The population was documented as 46,478 in the 2010 census.The city borders Lacey to the east and Tumwater to the south.Since 1984, Olympia has also been home to the South Puget Sound Community College.In 1846, Edmund Sylvester and Levi Smith jointly claimed the land that now comprises downtown Olympia. Its population steadily expanded from Oregon Trail immigrants.In 1850, the town settled on the name Olympia, at the suggestion of local resident Colonel Isaac N.
The site of Olympia has been home to Lushootseed-speaking peoples for thousands of years, including Squaxin, Nisqually, Puyallup, Chehalis, Suquamish, and Duwamish.
The first recorded visit by Europeans was in 1792 when Peter Puget and a crew from the British Vancouver Expedition charted the site. Congress established the Customs District of Puget Sound for Washington Territory and Olympia became the home of the customs house.
In 1896, Olympia became the home of the Olympia Brewing Company, which brewed Olympia Beer until 2003.
A 1949 earthquake damaged many historic buildings beyond repair, and they were demolished.
Parts of the city also suffered damage from earthquake tremors in 1965 and the 2001 Nisqually earthquake.In 1967, the state legislature approved the creation of The Evergreen State College in Olympia.