The mark is identical to its predecessor in every way except the colour. A capital "R" in a circle was added in 1955 to signify that the trademark had been registered in the United States.
The latter are more usually found on Earthenware pieces. The Second mark used from 1891- 1926 reflects the addition of a ribbon surrounding the lower half of the design for the first mark on which appears the words "CO FERMANAGH IRELAND" The change in the trademark occurred in 1891 in compliance with the 1891 Mc Kinley Tariff Act and the 1887 British Merchandise Act as amended in 1891,requiring the country of origin to be specified on the article. Wherever impressed marks were used, particularly with figurines the word "IRELAND" is added.Sometimes discolouration or fading is seen in this mark.Although it is not definite why this occurred, it is likely that this product was made during the First World War when materials were difficult to acquire and inferior materials were used. Introduced in 1926, possibly to mark the Wembley Exhibition of that year. Interestingly this registry mark dates from 1884 but was only used from 1926! Around scroll with Celtic decoration and the words "deanta in eireann" (made in Ireland) added.On Earthenware the stamp Belleek changed to "Melvin Ware" in 1936 probably to distinguish it from the more prestigious Parian China. The Pottery resumed full production in 1946 In tests carried out on backstamps, green was felt to be less obtrusive than black at showing through the translucent China and thus it was decided to change the colour from black to green.
The colour of the mark during this period was predominantly black but other colours were used, amongst them red, blue, orange, green, brown, and pink.
Some pieces of Belleek also carry the British Patent Office registration mark which gives the date of registration, not the date the piece was manufactured.