Wellesley first opened its doors to students on September 8, 1875. There have been thirteen more presidents in its history: Alice Elvira Freeman Palmer, Helen Almira Shafer, Julia Josephine Thomas Irvine, Caroline Hazard, Ellen Fitz Pendleton, Mildred H.
The college is also known for allowing its students to cross-register at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Brandeis, Babson College and Olin College.
The fire was first noticed by students who lived on the fourth floor near the zoology laboratory.
Its charter was signed on March 17, 1870, by Massachusetts Governor William Claflin.
The original name of the college was the Wellesley Female Seminary; its renaming to Wellesley College was approved by the Massachusetts legislature on March 7, 1873.
Adams, Barbara Warne Newell, Nannerl Overholser Keohane (later the president of Duke University from 1993–2004), Diana Chapman Walsh, H. The original architecture of the college consisted of one very large building, College Hall, which was approximately 150 metres (490 ft) in length and five stories in height. From its completion in 1875 until its destruction by fire in 1914, it was both an academic building and residential building.
On March 17, 1914, College Hall was destroyed by fire, the precise cause of which was never officially established.