Basically I tried everything I could get my hands on and restarted my computer several times but my server won't start.
When I attempt manually running php.exe, it returns an error from the PHP sqlite file (which I had to copy from the old folder since it is absent in the new one I got from the windows PHP download section)Is it hopeless so I can revert to the old one?
In the past I have just uninstalled the old version and installed the new one.
An upgrade of PHP will allow you to use new frameworks and current versions of Word Press. If you are using Windows and XAMPP, your file is in the PHP directory of XAMPP, so xampp/php/is the path.
If you are on a Mac, “select php Info on your start screen of MAMP to see which version is running on your machine” (pulled from here). Once you know which file is going to be updated, open it in your favorite text editor (I prefer Sublime Text 2) and find the part that says “upload_max_filesize.” Most likely it will have 2M or 4M set.
I have goggled and read a few threads on how to upgrade from one version to another.
I was working on a local installation and needed to import all the posts/pages/everything from a current Word Press installation, so I exported the XML file. “But John,” you yell, “why didn’t you just export the database and use that? If you weren’t aware, phpinfo() gives you all the information about the version of PHP you are running. ” Thank you friend for asking the obvious question. I don’t remember and if I recall correctly it never even crossed my mind. This is also useful if you have a client that doesn’t know anything about their host. Instead, I decided to upload a beast of an XML file roughly 6MB. Anyway, I kept getting an error saying upload_max_filesize in was blocking my file like a fat guy at the bank because of a 2MB limit. You can run phpinfo() and find out that they are still running PHP 3.4 from yesteryear.
If you are working with a live server you’ll have to check with your hosting provider on how to upgrade You can make this as high as you want, so I set it to 40M. I will however list the resources where I was able to come up with my solution.